- Purpose A primary goal of the FOSSCON is to be inclusive to the largest number of participants, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
- Open Source & Culture Citizenship A supplemental goal of this Code of Conduct is to increase open source and culture participation by encouraging peers to recognize and strengthen the relationships between our actions and their effects on our community. Communities mirror the societies in which they exist and positive action is essential to counteract the many forms of inequality and abuses of power that exist in society. If you notice someone who is continually making an effort to make the environment around them a safe and respected environment for all open source culture citizens, we hope that you take notice and offer a thanks.
- Expected Behavior
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all attendees:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you can contribute to a well rounded and pleasant experience for both peers and speakers.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert a FOSSCON staff member if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that the event venue is shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information ("doxing").
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
- Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior Unacceptable behavior from any attendee, volunteer, sponsor, or those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- Reporting Guidelines If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify us as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, event organizers are available to help attendees engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe. In the context of in-person events, organizers will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
- Addressing Grievances Only permanent resolutions (such as bans) may be appealed. To appeal a decision of the working group, contact the directors of the event with your appeal and the staff team will review the case. Christina Simmons at email@example.com or Jonathan Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scope We expect all participants (contributors; sponsors; attendees; staff; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to event discussion.
- Contact info Christina Simmons, Director, email@example.com
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all those who participate in FOSSCON activities to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, we may take any action deemed appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the event without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid sponsor- Individual or Corporate).
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of event activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of our participants.
Jonathan Simpson, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org